My Business

If you would like to partner with us:

Sunday, September 28, 2008

It's so early...and I'm so tired!

So it's 4 am on Sunday morning and and we had an eventful evening at The Roots Community last night. I can't sleep and I'm not sure if it's the Ravioli that I had at midnight, or if it's all the stuff on my mind.
Matt Burks (The Roots-Executive Pastor) and I interviewed 2 potential people for the Children's Leader position and it went really well. Simply put, I posted an ad on Craigslist and you wouldn't believe the turnout and response. I had well over 50 people inquire about the position. This was way more than I thought would even care. I feel as if the two candidates are good matches for us, but we can only choose one and that could be difficult. Pray for us.
Also...last night at Roots we had two new visitors. It's interesting because we aren't even advertising yet. But, what happened was...Derrick, Chuck, and Nadine our youth miniistry team were at the local Bookstore and they met this couple. After a conversation with them they were invited to come and visit Roots. They showed up and really enjoyed it (so they said). The really interesting thing is that they both were homeless. This couple had lost their home due to some terrible circumstances and were forced to live in their car. They had some income coming in, which helped to provide them with food and other essentials for living. At the end of the night, we asked them how we could serve them, and immediatly the woman said, "I need a shower". Wow! I was humbled, that her greatest need at that moment was a shower. I truly expected to hear, "Money" or "Food" or "Place to live"...but what they wanted the most from us was the opportunity to take a shower. Well, I knew that we could certainly help them out with that. Within that next hour they were showering at one of the Roots community homes. They were so blessed by that shower, but the real blessing was providing them that shower. This couple was extremely humble, loving, generous, and committed to Jesus. I hope they come back next Saturday night to Roots and I pray that they become connected to the Roots Community. I feel like we can learn alot from them. One last thought: As the story unfolded last night with this couple I was impressed in my spirit with the fact that...these are the people that Jesus would have walked with when he was on earth. Thank you Lord for trusting us with this couple. Thank You for giving us an opportunity to serve them and love them. Thank you for showing us how good we have it, even when we feel that we have nothing. Goodnight, I'm going back to bed!

4 comments:

Charlsey Dyer said...

I think what you all are doing is really Awesome!
My email is CharlseyMarie@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Jesse, seeing your selflessness that night....it was very humbling. Thanks, man.

Kevin Hendrix said...

Hey man. I, too felt you handled the whole situation with humility and grace. Thanks for that....

So what's up with the children's workers? Did I miss something in staff meeting (it's a good chance)? Not that you have to have approval or anything, but it would be nice to know since I have kids.

Kevin Hendrix said...

I was told it was brought up at a staff meeting... oops!

Search This Blog