My Business

If you would like to partner with us:

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Temptation...

It's midnight on Wednesday and I am here at home
contemplating the concept of temptation...



Tonight, I was tempted!

I was tempted to break my 30 day fast from Coca Cola
(I have 7 more days to go).
I bought dinner for the boys, Megan, and Mary...
and instead of just getting the pizza and wings, I thought...
"I bet they'll want something to drink"

so I bought some Coke.
The truth is I hoped to be able to have some too.

As everyone, including my children argued around the table whether or not I should be allowed to have some...I quickly poured a tall glass of that delicious beverage into my favorite cup.

At that moment I felt this deep sinking feeling in the pit of my gut.
It was the realization of my human brokenness.
It had risen to the surface of my soul and I felt disgusting.

In that moment, this simple beverage was like a harlot
or a drug to me. Now, I don't believe that Coke in of itself is
evil, but it's affect on me is.

I told Mary that I wouldn't drink that tall glass of delicious, mouth watering, taste-bud satisfying coke until Danny Best called me back. Well, after several attempts to reach him he finally connected with me around 10PM. Needless to say, I was suffering.

It was precisely at that moment, that I had an epiphany!
What am I doing?
I am calling a grown man, to ask him permission if I can have some coke...am I crazy? Yes!

On one hand, I am grateful for friends like Danny that are there for me to talk me off of the "coke" ledge, but on the other hand...
I realized that I have a lot more battling of unbelief to go through.

Here's my point:
When we are tempted, we are challenged in our system of beliefs.
What do you believe about God? This is challenged when we are tempted.
What do you believe about yourself? This is challenged when we are tempted.

In truth, what we do with temptation is a revelation of what we truly believe about something. If I had succumb to the temptation of drinking that coke tonight, then it would have revealed that in my heart I believe that the pleasure of drinking that glass of empty calories is better than abstaining from it for healthy reasons.

I accepted this 30 day challenge 23 days ago, believing that something as simple as a beverage has no control over me, and today I am looking at myself in the
mirror wondering what I really believe.

When Jesus was tempted in the wilderness for 40 days by the devil. Why could he overcome? Because He believed in the Father and all that he promised.

It's so easy for us to trust Christ for our eternal life,
but it's so hard to trust him for our earthly life.

Jesus, thank you for eternal life, but grant me the grace to make it through this earthly life...not just to "get by", but with a kingdom mentality and a supernatural joy...all for your glory, because you are better than Coca Cola!

4 comments:

Karen said...

Jess, I'm so glad you were able to see the lesson God has for you in "The Coke Challenge." Lord knows I'm no help. : )
Love you brother,
K

Rachel said...

That'a an awesome testimony! Thanks for sharing. I wonder why it so easy to have unwavering faith for the "big stuff" and be so lost for the "little stuff"? I'm right there with ya! Thanks fr the encouragement.

Michelle C. said...

First, I do have to say the new pic on the top of your blog is a bit scary..why does Anitra have colored -in eyes? Put an updated pic of the family.

Second, I'm proud of you Jesse for not taking a sip of that nonsense you call "delicious beverage". (Which by the way does clean toilets and rust ). I always enjoy hearing you talk about our beliefs being challenged. It's a good reminder not to give in to the lesser pleasures. By now you probably have 3 more days, I encourage you my dear friend! And maybe you will drink more of what I call a "delicious beverage", Water! mmm mmm good :o)

Unknown said...

Jesse, Thanks for describing an excruciating experience in such an open, forthright manner. That place where faith is claried through temptation is so hard, yet so elementary you can pass it right by. I'm so grateful that in reading your story my faith was increased as I remembered those places...thanks. Dat's some good fruit <3

Search This Blog